Friday, February 18, 2011

Why I liked Goldwater

I am reading the late Barry Goldwater's autobiography and came across his reasons for seeking political office.

Here's what the former US Senator and one-time Presidential candidate wrote:

"I had little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I meant to reduce it in size. I did not undertake to promote welfare, for I proposed to extend freedom. My aim was not to pass laws but to repeal them. It was not to inaugurate new programs but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden ... and if were later to be attacked for neglecting my constituent's interests, I would reply that I had been informed that their main interest was liberty and in that cause I was doing the very best I could."

That's what a true conservative sounds like.

2 comments:

johndoe124 said...

I think the Canadian sense of liberty is somewhat different. It's more like, "you're free to do whatever I think is best." And all forms of Canadian government, at every level, are manifestations of this fascist attitude.

Anonymous said...

At Anon @ 11:28 am

He wasn't pro-gay rights in the outright liberal sense of pushing the envelope or simply sticking it to their parents so to speak; but in a socially libertarian sense.

The distrust from the religious right was likely due to a pendulum effect. He was likely trying to distinguish himself. He had a tendency to run his mouth. Thats what made him lose. He would say something off the cuff or out of hot air and it would be blown up & taken seriously.

People ignored his policies & principles and instead fell for the rhetoric from his opponent.