Friday, October 20, 2006

1968 Redux

I was glad to see the St. Louis Cardinals win the National League pennant, because it sets up a rematch of the 1968 World Series, which in my humble opinion was one of the best on record.

But that's just my bias, because the '68 World Series is one of my earliest memories of baseball.

And it was a classic that featured the Tigers coming back from a 3-1 deficit to take the Crown.

Game 7 pitted fireballer Bob Gibson of the Cardinals against Mickey Lolich a portly southpaw in a dramatic showdown.

In those days, World Series games were played during the day and I was lucky my school principle permitted a TV to be set up in the gym.

Oh the Tigers and Cardinals also met in the 1934 World Series which also went 7 games, but even I am not old enough to remember that one.

No comments: